What is Onomatopoeia?

02.54


ONOMATOPOEIA
Onomatopoeia is the naming of a thing or action by a vocal imitation of the sound associated with it (as buzz, hiss etc).
Example and observation:
·      Chug, chug, chug. Puff, puff, puff. Ding-dong, ding-dong. The little train rumbled over the tracks."
("Watty Piper" [Arnold Munk], The Little Engine That Could)
·      "Brrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinng! An alarm clock clanged in the dark and silent room."
(Richard Wright, Native Son, 1940)
·      "I'm getting married in the morning!
Ding dong! the bells are gonna chime."
(Lerner and Loewe, "Get Me to the Church on Time," My Fair Lady)
·      "Onomatopoeia every time I see ya
My senses tell me hubba
And I just can't disagree.
I get a feeling in my heart that I can't describe. . . .

It's sort of whack, whir, wheeze, whine
Sputter, splat, squirt, scrape
Clink, clank, clunk, clatter
Crash, bang, beep, buzz
Ring, rip, roar, retch
Twang, toot, tinkle, thud
Pop, plop, plunk, pow
Snort, snuck, sniff, smack
Screech, splash, squish, squeak
Jingle, rattle, squeal, boing
Honk, hoot, hack, belch."
(Todd Rundgren, "Onomatopoeia")

SOURCES:

1.       http://grammar.about.com/od/mo/g/onomaterms.htm

3.       http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/onomatopoeia

Artikel Terkait

Previous
Next Post »